(made by Millie at the Quilt Fiesta show)
14 ounces shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 extra large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat over to 325 degrees F. Combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed until medium firm peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4 inch diameter ice cream scoop or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.
CROCKPOT PORK CARNITAS
(served at the June 2017 installation dinner)
3 lb pork loin boneless center cut roast
1 tsp garlic powder (I like garlic so I add extra)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Cups chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
1. Mix together all the seasonings in a small bowl
2. Rub the seasoning mixture over the pork roast, using your hands, making sure entire roast is coated,
3. Place the pork roast in crockpot, pour the chicken broth around the sides of the roast being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
4. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, turning roast after it has cooked 5 hours. ( I don't always do this)
5. Remove pork from crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Use broth to moisten meat if needed, otherwise discard remaining broth. I just put it back into juice and its ready to serve.
Thanks so much